Monday, August 30, 2010

what's in my (makeup) bag...

... or really, what's on my (makeup) shelves



This is how I have my makeup set up on a daily basis. I used to use a plastic desk organizer from target with 3 drawers, a covered top, and two separated cups on top. It worked well, but I grew out of it, and it wasn't so efficient all the time. After I moved houses, this is what I came up with.

If you can't tell, my makeup is sitting on my dresser and I have installed two shelves from target. I also placed three removable hooks to the right of the corner shelves to hang my necklaces. Prior to this, they were bunched up in a small lock box where I couldn't see what I did or did not have. To store brushes, liners, and miscellaneous products that cannot stand on their own, I have refurbished old glass wear, much of which once held candles. I also keep a plastic cup on my dresser for small trash items such as q-tips or face towelettes. This helps keep mess down and cut down clean up time on rushed mornings.



This is an organizer that came in a stackable container from target. (I looked for it on their website and had no such luck.) As you can see, I use this to store bobby pins, hair clips, q-tips, and other random makeup products that needed a home. I don't know about you, but bobby pins are prized possessions, and somehow always get lost. Something like this helps prevent all of them from disappearing, that is if you're putting them back here every time you're done using them. ;-)



Revlon Grow Luscious Mascara
Remington Mini Personal Trimmer
- this is great to trimming your brows between waxings.
Mary Kay Oil Mattifier
Too Faced Shadow Insurance
Clinique Acne Solutions Spot Healing Gel
a nail file
tweezers
a comb



This cute little container was either originally a candle or shot glass, I don't remember, but either work extremely well. So, if you were trying to figure out what to do with all those shot glasses, here's one idea!

Most of my liners are from NYX. I have purchased many of them from a beauty store in Los Gatos called Beauty Avenue, but you can also purchase them online on the NYX website or cherryculture.com.

My favorites include...
the Jumbo Eyepencil in Milk,
Eyepencil in White Pearl (918) or Pure White (03),
Y2K (826) which is a purply maroon color,
and Charcoal (912).

I also highly suggest owning a dark brown and a black eyeliner.

If you're daring enough, try a liquid liner! The best way to start is a felt tip. It looks very similar to a sharpie marker and goes on very easily. I personally own Milani Eye Tech Liquid Eyeliner. I purchased mine from cherryculture.com and you can see a close up of the actual liner in my haul blog about half way down the page. There are so many different types of liquid liners, this is just a great style to start with. That's a whole other blog in itself, keep your eyes open for it ;-)

It's also really fun to have a glitter liner. I suggest a simple iridescent, uncolored one because you can place it over any colored shadow or liner, making it more versatile. I own NYX Candy Glitter Liner in Crystal.



Brushes! So, I'm not going to go into great detail on this topic. If you want more details about what brushes to buy, and each of their specific uses, click here to read up on my "brushes galore" blog post.



On my first shelve are the products I probably use the most.

Stila One Step Makeup
Bare Escentuals Buxom Gel Eyeliner
BH Cosmetics 120 Palette 2nd edition
Sephora Setting Mist
a blush palette
a makeup wedge
a home made magnetic palette for my miscellaneous shadows.



Finally, we've got lotions, sunscreen, deodorant, makeup remover, and toner. Nothing too exciting, but probably the most important items you can own for your face. Whether or not you wear makeup, it's soooo important you clean your face at least twice a day and moisturize, moisturize, moisturize; doing so will help keep your skin looking young and vibrant much longer. Check out my "cheap and easy" blog post for my skin care routine.

I also have a drawer in my dresser directly below all my makeup to keep the items I don't use as regularly. This includes most hair tools and products, face towelettes, rarely used shadows, eyelashes, etc. It's all close enough to quickly access, but not in my way.

That's all for now. Stay beautiful!

PS. If you're wondering why I have a picture of myself next to my second shelve on my mirror, it's for motivational purposes. First of all, it was taken on a really great day, with amazing people, and it's always great to surround yourself with those kinds of memories. More importantly, however, it's meant as inspiration to stay healthy. This picture was taken when I was most healthy and I'd like to get back to that. I'm on my way, but certainly not there yet! A lot of girls look at pictures of celebrities and models, but it's so much more concrete when it's a realistic picture of yourself. It makes the goal so much more attainable.

No comments:

Post a Comment