Tuesday, July 20, 2010

fashion forward!

Hello my beautiful bloggers! As some of you may know, I am in Washington DC this month (July 2010) for a job (go here to learn more about my summer events). Luckily, I have a friend here who I danced with in college. Even more lucky on my part, she knows where all the hip people of DC hang out! This Friday, for instance, is a cocktail party in a museum called Hirshhorn After Hours. Of course, I had to get a new outfit! I made my way to downtown DC via Metro all by myself, no help from locals whatsoever! I even figured out which Forever 21 was most near a metro station. Now let me tell you, I chose THE BEST Forever 21 to go to! Not only was this one 2 huge levels, but it was the grand opening. They had everything and more!

Of course, the shopping didn't end with just my outfit for Friday's party and, in fact, took two trips to complete! So, my friends, I give you my very first fashion haul. I don't intend to do many of these unless I'm excited about the particular item or the price because my ultimate focus is on cosmetics. Sound good? Cool.

Alrighty then, here goes nothin'! ;-)

[dresses]

*Hershhorn Outfit!*
dress- 24.80
necklace- 10.80
shoes- old/from baker's
Well ladies and gents, here it is! This is what I spent 2 hours trying to find, but it was worth all the hard work and effort. The bottom of the dress lands a few inches above my knee, and for once, a triangle top fits my chest! Another incredible thing, is that I can wear a regular bra with it (black of course!) It also came with a black flower pin that I plan to put in my hair towards the back; I gotta look good coming AND going! This dress is very light and soft, which is great for the summer heat, and the heat I'll be making on the dance floor! ;-)



17.80
My very first skimpy dress! I feel like all girls need one blatantly sexy dress that plays up her curves and DEMANDS attention. For those of you who don't know me, I'm not one to wear form fitting clothing. However, I've recently lost weight, and although my body is nowhere near perfect, I am comfortable in my skin and have embraced my curves. Anyhow, I originally picked this dress up in black, but I probably have about three "little black dresses" along with every other girl. So I figured, "why not?!" Plus, blue, especially navy, really makes my eyes pop when I have red hair (which is all the time, except when it needs to be redone).


This dress is extremely versatile because it can be dressed up or down depending on the accessories. To dress down, pair it with white t-strap sandals and a chunky, bohemian style necklace. While on the other hand, pair this dress with a strappy heal, medium length necklace, and possibly a belt around your waste for a more club going look.


[tops]

both tops- 12.80

Both of these tops are tunic style and would pair well with leggings. Check out one of Oprah's magazine editors "Rules of Wearing Leggings". They are also both very light weight which is great for the summer and to layer.



[bottoms]

purple leggings- 15.80
skirt- 13.80
shorts- 8.80

purple leggings- I saw these and was instantly attracted, but it was in fact love at first touch. I'm a dancer and try to get to the gym every now and then, and I love wearing leggings with long t shirts. However, for those of you who are unaware, most leggings are COMPLETELY see through once you bend over even slightly. I learned this the hard way. So, now, whenever I find thick leggings, I snatch them up. These ones are even just a bit more thick than every day casual ones because they are meant for exercise. And who doesn't love purple pants?!

skirt- There isn't much I have to say about this gorgeous skirt. It lands about mid thigh and is really light weight. I suggest getting the size up from what you normally wear because these waist bands tend to pink any amount of chub. But I think this skirt is absolutely gorgeous, and looks even better on a person than the hanger!

shorts- So, I know it's impossible to see the detail on these shorts. But, they are a basic white short. White shorts are a great replacement for pants or skirts when going out; they're not something you'd wear every day and can be worn both casually or dressed up. These short in particular are super comfortable and aren't too short.


[outfits]


This outfit can be work with almost any colored legging. In generaly however, I do suggest staying away from lighter leggings because they have a nasty way of making your legs, especially the thigh area, look much more wide then they in fact are. Accessories and shoes an really make a difference in the look as well. For a more casual look, stay simple. Or, to dress it up, add a necklace, nicer shoes, and stick with the black leggings. This would be great for running errands or going to class.




This is something I'd wear out to a bar or club. Depending on the dress code I'd either just wear flats or wedges for a more done up look. The gray vest can be added to either look depending on your personal style and comfort level. Sometimes I feel better being slightly more covered, a long vest like this will help with that.



belt- 7.80
Now this is an outfit I am extremely excited to wear. Just the shoes alone completely changes the feel of this outfit, making it very versatile. It can also be paired with a tan or black shirt of most any shade, or the right colored maroon t shirt. Jewelery would be fun to play with as well.



That's all for now! Stay beautiful!

2 comments:

  1. I am really digging the white shorts tip. I'd never thought of that before. And while I'm here I might as well mention that the flowered dress and the belt in the last picture are both kick-ass.

    ReplyDelete